Over the last 8 months, a group of committed museum professionals have set up the Disability Cooperative Network.
This involves museums in London and the West Midlands and we want more people including you. Contact us to get involved
We are working with academics, groups, specialists, curators and managers to share knowledge to break down barriers for disability in the cultural sector.
This website is a forum for the museum sector and to connect with charities, groups and individuals outside the sector. This website will include case studies, specialist knowledge and information for both the public facing aspects of museum work and supporting disabled voluntary and paid staff.
- To create a new way of holistic thinking for disability in museums.
- To link into existing social frameworks and thinking within the sector such as ‘Museums Change Lives’ (Museums Association) and ‘Equality and Diversity in the Arts and Cultural Sector’ (Arts Council England)
- To provide a consultation for a strategic steer for key Governance parties such as Arts Council, England, Group for Education in Museums and Museums Association.
- Challenge existing practice and create cost-effective, inclusive ways of thinking within the sector.
- Provide a glossary of accepted terminology and available legislation through partners. To develop the culture and identity of disability within the heritage sector.